If I had a fiver every time someone said “it’s only a little hobby” I’d be a rich investor on Dragons Den!
Hobbies are often a goldmine that people just cast to the side as something they do for themselves, or help friends an relatives out with and that’s it. But if you’re looking for a way to make some extra money, why not earn it doing something you love doing?
Here are 10 hobbies that you can turn into a business or use to make extra money:
1. Organising – call it obsessive compulsive if you like and laugh off your organising skills, but use them wisely and you could be laughing all the way to the bank!
Don’t take your skills for granted – people will pay (a lot) to have someone come into their homes and businesses and organise things for them – wardrobes, filing you name it!
2. Baking – anything from cupcakes to wedding cakes make money and if you love nothing more than the smell of lemon drizzle cake or can whip icing into strange structures and flavours then you’re in the money!
3. Blogging – if you have an opinion about everything or a passion for one particular subject and can’t stop talking about it, put words to keyboard and start making cash! You never know who’s reading – you could find yourself with a big publishing deal, or become a media expert. Or at the very least, you can get money from traffic and advertising on your blog if you set it up the right way.
4. Gardening – have you got green fingers? Do you know your dahlias from your chrysanthemums and your hardy from your perennials? A lot of people don’t and they need your help to get their gardens into shape.
5. Exercise – if the sound of jogging in the rain gets your adrenaline pumping and you can do a million situs without grimacing then why not help other people reach their fitness goals?
These days fitness has taken on so many life forms – it’s not just about being in the gym trying not to fall off the treadmill, exercise is fun and involves many things like buggies and hula hoops to name a few. If you have another way to feel the burn, share it with the world and start to earn.
6. Shopping – are you a vintage queen? Do you know this season’s must-have accessory and know how to colour book with your eyes shut?
You could help other people get the fashion police off their backs and make money while you’re doing it. And another plus is you can shop for other people without dipping into your purse so you can kill two birds with one stone.
7. Music – have you got a grade 8 in cello or have musical fingers that dazzle when you play the piano? Why not teach others? Music lessons can work around school hours if you teach children or adults who want to learn around work.
8. Photography – have you got an eye for a good photographic story? You could do some professional photography or just take snaps for fun and sell them on stock photography websites.
9. Animals – do you dream of one day owning your own zoo or animal estuary? Does the thought of spiders crawling in your hands make you feel at one with nature and not make you scream like it’s Armageddon? Why not make a little cash pet sitting or dog walking or caring for another type of animal while it’s owner is away?
10. Talking – if you live a good chin wag and are happy for friends and family to call on you then why not let other people do the same? A good old chat can make someone’s day and make your day more financially productive – start charging!