Who knows the complexities of organising holiday activities for kids better than us mums? So it?s no surprise that a website has been set up to make life easier for us all.
Great Little Adventures (www.greatlittleadventures.co.uk ), set up by two mums living in rural Suffolk, features days out, restaurants and hotels – each one personally visited by Great Little Adventures, For good value days out for half-term or summer holidays the site recommends:
1. Day out in Tynemouth – lovely beaches, rock pooling, free entry to pier and cheap to get into the Priory.
2. National Railway Museum – York – FREE
3. Manchester Museum – FREE
4. Oxford University Natural History Museum – FREE
5. Princess Diana Memorial Gardens – FREE
6. Science Museum – FREE. There’s an admission charge for come exhibits but the vast majority is free
7. Tate Modern – as above – FREE. There’s an admission charge for come exhibits but the vast majority is free
8. Bircham Windmill (Norfolk) – free entry, you just pay for baking and going up the windmill. Lovely, cheap cafe serving fresh-from-the-oven teacakes, pasties and scones.
9. Crabbing at Wells next the sea – make the day extra special by booking a beach hut (from about ?8 a day)
10. National Trust places – there is a tiered pricing structure depending on what you want to do, so if you just want to go into the parkland and use the play areas it’s really cheap. Take a picnic!!!
As with everything on the website, these days out have been selected to offer something different from the obvious, as founder Tracy Flux explains: ?The philosophy is all about keeping it real. Each one of the hand-picked selection of places featured on the website has been personally visited by Great Little Adventures.
?Featured restaurants are, in the main, independent, focusing on locally sourced food and encouraging children to explore new flavours and eat with the family. Whether it?s a gourmet treat or fantastic fish and chips on the pier, traditional values and a sustainable ethic come high on the agenda. And when it comes to days out, we believe in looking beyond the usual children?s attractions.?
To help make the journey on a day trip or weekend away more interesting Great Little Adventures has teamed up with Orion Publishers to offer a free digital download of a Horrid Henry story read by Miranda Richardson. This is available to members on the site. Also on the site is a competition to win a Fat Face mountain board and safety gear ? great for beginners and experienced riders alike.
For details of all of this visit the website at http://www.greatlittleadventures.co.uk .