Are you tired of promotions passing you by? Do you wish you were more respected by your colleagues and your boss?
It takes more than doing the job to stand out in the workplace. Here are some tips on becoming irreplaceable in your workplace and getting a promotion.
1. Be friendly and pleasant. Have a nice thing to say to everyone, ooze good manners, and have a ready smile and caring attitude. Even if there is a culture of rudeness in your workplace, don’t be brash and judgmental…it won’t go unnoticed.
2. Don’t gossip. Gossip is the one thing that can make life uncomfortable for others in the workplace. Knowing what’s happening in the office is good, but try to stay away from discussing it or spreading things, however tempting it may be.
3. Update your skills and knowledge. The world today moves at a fast pace with technology pushing the boundaries every day, so we all need to keep up with technical innovations as well as global business trends. Make all efforts to be ahead of developments in your field of work so you know what’s going on and can be proactive, not just reactive to what your boss says.
4. Be efficient and have facts and figures at your fingertips. Always prepare for meetings well and be a visionary. Make suggestions that can be backed up by actions, and make all your contributions count – no waffle.
5. Practice the art of listening. Analyse what others know and can tell you. Absorb knowledge like a sponge and never restrict yourself to only your department. It pays to know what other departments do, and to cross link so you can add value to your company.
6. Be a leader in all aspects. Be the first to accept extra responsibilities, to take over someone else’s load when they have problems, lend a hand when a team is working to achieve a deadline. Make valuable suggestions. Let people know they can depend on you for just about anything…but don’t be a dog’s body – there’s a difference.
7. Respect and obey the rules of the office. Be disciplined and spread the culture to all others.
8. Always be in control, never appear to be stressed. Keep personal life and work separate – never form a relationship with a colleague or boss that is unprofessional. Dress well everyday and stand tall…it doesn’t have to break the bank, and it shouldn’t but making an effort withy our appearance makes you at least look organised and in control.
9. Be methodical and organised in your work. Use filing methods that other people can make sense of when you’re. Keep your work area neat, computer files uncluttered
and back up your work regularly so you don’t lose everything should the worst happen.
10. Be poised, stylish, and approachable. Look good and smell good – good personal habits are always appreciated. Carry breath mints in your pocket along with a fresh hanky or packet of tissues just in case. Keep a laundered shirt on hand for emergencies.