If you choose a childminder, you can expect to pay about ?130/week if your child is less than two years of age. In London and the South East this could be as much as ?350/week or ?7/hour.
Advantages of using a childminder
- Your child will mix with children of different ages and from different backgrounds
- Childminders care for children in small groups, so they can still meet the individual needs of your child
- Your child will be looked after in a home-from-home setting
- Childminders are registered with and regularly inspected by Ofsted or the CSIW
- Childminders are self-employed and can offer flexible hours
- They have to have a medical check, and also have a valid first aid certificate