We all have the odd trip, or spill a hot drink on ourselves at work, but some accidents at work can be a lot more serious and could have some long-term implications on our ability to work.

While most employers these days are aware of their legal duties, many don’t want to get caught up in payouts, so you have to know your rights well but also be aware of the responsibilities of your employer.

Here’s what you should do if you have a serious accident in the workplace:

1. Report the accident
You need to report the accident to your employer immediately. If you have to be hospitalised, you need to report the accident to the healthcare professionals treating you and make sure your GP is aware of the fact that the accident took place at work.

2. Get medical attention
Make sure you get the proper medical attention even if your injuries do not seem severe or serious enough. Sometimes, the body is affected severely but the wounds can only be observed by qualified professionals.

3. Make a note of all medical care you recieve
You have to keep a track record of the type of treatment you were given and also of the number of days of medical care you were given. If you fail to do that you may not be granted full compensation for your injury if you have to make a compensation claim later on.

4. Keep compensation records
Although you may not think of money as you undergo medical treatment, you have to be careful and keep all the documents relating to any medical care you get – and obviously obtain sick notes, or letters from your GP as required. If you intend to seek compensation later on then you will need a clear record of your costs as well as potential earnings you have been lost while recovering from the accident at work.

5. Contact a good solicitor
This is the last step in your journey. You have to contact a solicitor to represent your best interests. It is always best to have a professional like Express Solicitors look at your case and assess your chances before making any other moves. The fact is that a work injury prevents from a normal life, and sometimes it may be for a short period of time while other times it may be forever.

You can also contact the Health and Safety Executive or Rospa for more information about your rights at work and to know what your legal obligations are if you are a business owner.

What's your reaction?

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.