It’s that time of year again, when the taxman is on the prowl. This time, it’s in relation to tax credits, to which HMRC is urging parents to renew their tax credits early and online.


You’ll need to let the taxman know of any changes to your circumstances, for example:

  • your income goes drops by more than £2,500 or goes up by more than £5,000
  • you have a child
  • your childcare costs increase
  • your child is reaches 16, 18 or 19 and they’re in approved education or training (sixth form, college etc)
  • your benefits stop or or are reduced
  • you or your partner start claiming universal credit

And it looks like they’ve got very modern. If you need any help or information, there are a number of ways you can do this:

– On GOV.UK at
– By tweeting @HMRCcustomers with their general queries
– By calling the tax credits helpline: 0345 300 3900

What's your reaction?

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.